1. Organize and budget ahead of time by developing a master list of things that must be done so you won’t forget something important on moving day and create an estimate of moving costs to ensure you have enough money to cover all expenses.
2. Whether you have a garage sale, donate items to charity, or simply recycle your unwanted items, get rid of things you don’t want or need. This will result in fewer items being packed and unpacked.
3. When sorting through items it’s easy to get caught up in the moment and throw too much away. If you’re unsure about whether or not to toss an item, ask yourself how you would feel without it, and how often you use it.
4. It’s easier when unpacking if you’ve packed similar items together, items that go in specific rooms should also be packed together for easier unpacking.
5. If hiring movers to take care of the move, ensure that precious items such as photos, valuables or items that will be needed during the move stay with you.
6. Keep a bag on-hand with items such as drinks and snacks and remember that most movers won’t take plants, so you’ll have to move those yourself.
7. Loose items are likely to break. Ensure you are using the right box for your items, breakables are well-protected and that boxes aren’t too heavy to lift. It’s best to use smaller boxes for heavy items to ensure the weight doesn’t exceed 50 pounds.
8. When labeling boxes ensure you mark each side. You never know how they will be stacked at your new home and you don’t want to have to dig through boxes to find the ones you are looking for.
9. Movers can benefit from a colour-coded floor plan of the new home and with boxes that have corresponding coloured labels. This helps ensure each box goes to the appropriate room.
10. Store all moving documents, including important phone numbers, the driver’s name and the moving van, in one file that you carry during the move along with your address book.
11. Make the move easier for your movers by printing a map and directions for them with the route highlighted.
12. Also include your cell phone number on the map and make copies for any friends and family that will be helping the day of the move.
13. Before moving your computer ensure that all files are backed up and stored in a safe place, preferably not amongst your packed items.
14. Upon arrival, inspect every box and all furniture for damage.
15. Spare kids and pets the experience of moving day madness and make arrangements for them to stay with friends or family on the day of the move.
If you’re looking for your dream home and a real estate agent to represent you, I would love the opportunity to help. Please call my office at 416-925-9191 or e-mail me directly at Roxanne@ChestnutPark.com.