790 Allbright Road, Goodwood
situated on 9.29 acres backs on to the North Walker Conservation with miles of trails for riding, walking and skiing.
The History of 590 Allbright Road
Robert Wells built the log settler’s cabin in 1817. Originally the home was a 1.5 storey, hand hewn log structure measuring 35x22ft with four small upstairs bedrooms. Paint chips from the deconstruction show the original colour to be a deep rusty red with a hunter green door.
Sitting on his front step, Mr. Wells could look south out over Lake Ontario. Behind the house was a large Elm, one in a line of marker trees signaling the Indian path north to Muskoka Lakes. When the tree was young, a large branch had been tied down to a stake which was later released to point the way.
Over the years, the farm was sold down to a double lot, Number 8 Riddle Ave located west of Bathurst St. and Eglinton Ave. From 1920-1938, Jeanne Minhinnick lived in the house after which, Dora Mavor Moore acquired the property in 1930. Dora was one of Canada’s best known theatrical broadcasters, teachers and directors.
In 1990, a developer requested approval to demolish the house to free the lot for development. Despite being identified as the second oldest standing residential structure in Toronto. In February 1994, Toronto City Council rejected the plea by the Historical Board to have the house declared a heritage home. However, it was decided the home would not be demolished but taken apart for reconstruction.
University of Waterloo architectural students took photos, studied the architecture and dismantled the cabin piece by piece, numbering each section.
The house was donated to habitat for humanity who auctioned the building. Brian and Catherine Daley successfully bid for the cabin. From Stouffville, the Daley’s looked for an empty lot for the cabin, finding the spectacular location at 590 Allbright Road where it stands proudly today.
The Daley’s reconstructed the house and added several interior features including a modern country kitchen, updated bathroom and finished lower level. Exterior features include professional landscaping, inground swimming pool and horse paddocks.
Since 2016 the current owners have invested over $150,000 in upgrades and improvements including:
- New furnace
- New windows and front entry door
- New broadloom on the lower level
- Resurfacing of the driveway with recycled asphalt.
3-CAR GARAGE WITH COACH HOUSE
- Built large detached oversized three-car garage with one additional tandem door.
- Finished the upper coach house that includes 3 piece washroom, one bedroom and large sitting area with kitchenette.
FOUR BOX-STALL BARN
- In addition, the current owners built a four box stall barn with hayloft large enough to store 450 square bales.
- Five fenced acres with four paddocks.
- Large sand riding ring.
- All paddocks have access to water. Water pipes were laid 6 feet down to ensure they don’t freeze in the winter.
- Electricity has been laid to the mid-point of the paddocks.
- Barn has its own electrical panel.
- There is an electrical outlet for each stall to plug in water buckets on cold nights.
- Four box stall barn. Stalls laid with rubber matting
- Riding stable next door that has both English and Western riders.
- Access to North Walker Conservation from back of property offers riding and walking trails.