178 Cochrane street in Port Perry
A Little History
178 Cochrane Street in Port Perry has been showcased in numerous historical books, magazines and articles over its 139 years of history. Built by Joseph Bigelow, a very prominent businessman and Reeve, his dream was to build an elaborate Italianate estate, and so eloquently named by the Bigelow family, “Fairview Villa”.
According to historian Paul Arculus and J. Peter Hvidsten, the design specifications for Fairview Villa included prominent features including:
· The bay window frames are built out of 10” by 12” dressed timber
· The window sills are made from 10” x 10” lumber
· The main floor joists are 2” x 12” at 16” centres while the joists on the upper floors are 2” x 10” with 16” centres
· All of the floors were covered with 3” x ½” dressed white pine
· The exterior doors are 2 ½” thick while the interior doors are 2” thick
· Three fireplaces were added
· The iron railings on the roof and above the bays were painted in ultramarine blue and the tips gilded with gold leaf
Even today, the “Bigelow House” is considered one of the finest Victorian homes in the province. The 5,000 sq. ft. expansive living space also offers an additional 1,480 sq. ft. of finished living space on the lower level including a recreation room, 5th bedroom and kitchenette.
The large principal rooms and flow on the main floor is perfect for entertaining both large and small groups of people. Your friends will love to climb up the turret and enjoy panoramic views of Port Perry and Lake Scugog.
Tender Loving Care
Over the past 20 years, the current and previous owners have taken excellent care and custodianship of this home. As a result, the home has been completely updated to modern standards including the plumbing, electrical, heating and ventilation systems, and, insulation.
Structural improvements include:
· Replacement of the roof shingles, soffit and fascia
· Replacement of some of the windows that conform to the architectural significance of the home
· A large addition which, includes the kitchen, powder room and side entry
· The coach house/3-car garage with full height loft
This elegant Victorian home is in “move-in” condition. The salt-water inground swimming pool, hot tub gardens and expansive lawn area offer resort-like facilities to enjoy with family and friends.
Some of the striking features of this property include:
· Almost one-acre situated on a corner lot
· Huge mature maple trees
· In-ground salt-water swimming pool with cabana, patio area & wrought-iron fencing
· Oversized architecturally correct coach-house/3-car garage with full-height unfinished loft
· Interlocking walkway and large deck with hot tub
· Semi-circular paved laneway providing access from both McDonald St. and Cochrane St.
· All improvements are in perfect harmony with the character of the Victorian period
· 11.5 ft. ceilings on main level and 10.5 ft. ceilings on upper level
· 10 ft. wide centre hall on both levels
· Fantastic ceiling decorations authentically painted by a master painter of fine English country homes
· Massive trim and mouldings in proportion to the scale of the house
· Three gas fireplaces (living room, family room and master bedroom)
· Large kitchen addition with separate eating area
· Custom cabinetry in kitchen, large centre island with double farm sink and seating for four
· Large 5-piece master ensuite with glass shower, double sinks and jet tub
· Large 4-piece main bath with double sinks and large shower stall
· California shutters on all windows
The growing community of Port Perry has earned their esteemed reputation as one of the top day-tripping locations in all of southern Ontario. There are always local events and festivals that have tourists flocking to this quaint town to enjoy the fabulous dining, shopping and lakeside amenities, which are within an easy walk from the property. Lake Scugog is minutes away and lakeside events are always a crowd pleaser. Located 9 minutes from Highway 407, the property is within easy commuting distance to Toronto and the surround GTA.
Port Perry’s impressive school system offers French immersion and a gifted program at both the elementary and high school level.